Monday, November 7, 2011

Snow Day

No, we haven't actually had any snow yet, but I do have a bad case of cabin fever!  I've been sick and it's taken a bit to figure out why but they took my gallbladder out and now I'm feeling much better!  While I've been sitting around recuperating, I started my "Snowflake" quilt.  It's a combination of cotton and wool and I love it!  I don't do much embroidery work and wasn't exactly looking forward to that part of it, but I actually really enjoyed embroidering with the yarn. It adds another dimension and I really think it's cool the way it's turned out.  This was also the first time I've tried the wool thread that Sue Spargo recommends for wool applique and it's also very nice to work with.  As usual, I didn't exactly follow the directions....the pattern called for making "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" blocks and I was feeling too lazy to do all that piecing so I just cut a large square of background and appliqued an entire circle on it and went on my merry way!  Another great notion for wool is the "Quilter's Choice" glue.  It holds really well; I was a little concerned as ran a line of glue down the arm of the snowflake knowing I was going to have to embroider over it, but I didn't even notice the glue.  One last notion that I think you need for this project is what Mom use to call her "crowbar" needle threader; it's really handy when trying to thread the yarn.  I think this is one of those projects you are just going to have to have- I know I do!

I've also been doing a bit of reading while I've been in and out of doctor's offices or languishing on the couch!  It was another of those "that looks like our Buggy Wheels quilt" in American Patchwork and Quilting's  "Sew Scrappy Volume 2" and guess what?  It was! I am just so UN-informed! Anyway, they've remade it in reproduction blues and creams and call it "'round the Stars".  It looks great! 








Then there's a fabulous article about our quilt show in the December issue of Mary Janes Farm magazine.  How nice of them to include us!



And finally, our newest book, "Crazy for Applique" has been delivered!  I was a tad tardy getting it to the printer.....really, I'm very lucky that it's even done right now!  If not for the help of Sandi and Val who appliqued nonstop for several days (I'm sure their fingers must have been bleeding!), it still wouldn't be done!  Then at the zero hour, Gloria and Pam pitched in to help finish the applique so Karen could quilt all weekend for picture day on Monday- yes, they are naked without their bindings! I'm blest to have all these great people that willing step into my nightmare to "get 'er done!"  I'm thankful indeed!  
Crazy Rambling Rose
Garden Party
All this hurry, hurry, stress, and worry and I didn't even get to go to Market!  It's the first one in 32 markets that I've missed but Pam found lots to bring home!  And just so you can be informed, I put a dark red binding on "Garden Party" and dark gray on "Rambling Rose"!  So now it's back to work for me.....uunfortunately, it all didn't magically disappear while I wasn't looking.....darn!  Oh, and be on the look out!  The Henry Glass Designers will be starting a blog hop on Sunday, November 13.  Yes, that's this coming Sunday!  More details to follow, once I located those details on my desk!  Will be talking to you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are feeling better and hope you continue to heal.
    I like how you used yarn on the snowflake, really makes a nice embellishment.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the worst is behind you!

    ReplyDelete